Picture books are appropriate for any age-from birth on up. And they make great introductions to mini-lessons. Read a picture book to the whole class, go over a correlating concept as a class, then have the students work individually to reinforce the concept. It’s a great way to introduce new ideas or review old ones.
Take some time to read the book with the class and then try out some of these other activities:
- Chinese New Year lesson plan for 2nd-3rd grade
- A craft and a compare/contrast writing prompt from If I Only Had Super Powers
- An entire unit based on this picture book-complete with worksheets and activities!! (PDF)
- Learn to write “Good Wishes” in Chinese (PDF)
- Have a parade to show off your dragon puppets!!
- And if you’re really ambitious-make a dragon that the whole class has to carry!
- Chinese New Year Dragon Craft
- Where the Wild Things Are Week
- Great Resource: I Love That Teaching Idea
- Children’s Book Week
- Caterpillar Exchange